Your IT Career Questions
I’d like to work in IT, but I’m not sure where to begin. Which qualification is the most appropriate for me?
For job changers and students preparing to enter the IT sector, the CompTIA IT Fundamentals (ITF+) certification is suggested. Because CompTIA ITF+ assists professionals in determining whether or not a job in IT is suited for them, as well as developing a better understanding of IT. The CompTIA Career Pathway shows you the many pathways you may pursue as well as the certifications you can earn along the way.
Check for CompTIA A+ if you already have some technical skills but need certifications to get your foot in the door. The industry standard for entry-level IT positions, such as technical assistance specialist and help desk technician, is this qualification. CompTIA A+ was mentioned in over 40,000 job advertisements in the United States in 2021. Professionals with the CompTIA A+ certification have a track record of solving problems.
How much money can I expect to make in the IT industry?
According to the United States Department of State, According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, IT professionals in the United States make an estimated median income of $90,000, which is about double the national median wage. Your wage is determined by a variety of criteria, including your employer, industry, experience, education, occupation, and location. To explore compensation ranges for IT experts in your region with similar positions and experience, use the CompTIA IT Salary Calculator.
What skills do I need to be successful in the field of information technology?
To stay up with changing technologies, IT professionals must actively learn new skills. Whatever the future holds for your IT profession, these in-demand skills will keep you competitive and operating well. Not just technical skills, such as cloud computing, programming, and tech support, but also professional skills, such as project management, communication, and problem resolution, are in high demand.
Why should I acquire certification?
To be more competitive in the employment market, you need to obtain certification. Entry-level certifications might set you apart from the competition if you don’t have any prior IT expertise.
There are also some reasons why you should get IT certifications, including:
- To substantiate your knowledge and abilities
- To apply what you learned throughout your certification training to your current position
- To demonstrate that you are proactive and dedicated
- To get a fundamental understanding of technology
- To learn more about a certain field, such as computer networking or cybersecurity
- To advance your IT profession
Obtaining industry-recognized IT certifications is a professional development opportunity that will set you apart in a competitive job market, increase your chances of progression, and put you on a profitable career path.
Do certificates take the role of on-the-job training?
Certifications in IT are a good place to start, but they can’t substitute real-world experience. CompTIA certifications, on the other hand, provide hands-on learning as part of your training — it’s the best of both worlds.
Many CompTIA certifications, for example, incorporate performance-based questions (PBQs). This sort of inquiry is used to assess a candidate’s capacity to solve issues in real-life situations. It can be provided in the form of simulations or virtual environments. CompTIA offers training options in a range of formats, including CompTIA Labs, to help you prepare for the PBQs. CompTIA Labs allows students to get hands-on experience with real equipment and software, allowing them to apply what they’ve learned.
What impact will certifications have in my career?
Certifications can assist you in furthering your education! As an IT professional, you are aware of how fast the technology sector can change – and how important it is for you to stay up. Gaining skills might help you get a promotion or start specializing in a field of technology that interests you. Consider IT certifications as a long-term investment in your professional development. In as little as six weeks, you may add a new qualification to your CV if you know where you want to focus your efforts.
Your IT Certification Questions
What are the advantages of CompTIA?
There are other certificates available. It depends on the field in which you want to be certified and the firms that provide such credentials. Because CompTIA is a vendor-neutral organization, the skills you gain may be used with any product. Other certifications, such as those offered by Cisco and Microsoft, are vendor-specific, which means the skills you gain are limited to a single product. Starting with a vendor-neutral certification like CompTIA’s can help you lay the groundwork for a deeper dive with a vendor-specific certification.
Are there any qualifications or requirements?
There are no minimum age or educational requirements to take a CompTIA test. Candidates for any certification should, however, be at least 13 years old. We also explain recommended experience for each test to set you up for success. This information may be found in the test details chart for any CompTIA certification on our website.
I’d want to obtain a CompTIA certification. What are the costs and what are the fees?
You must pass an exam (two for A+) to acquire a CompTIA certification, and exam voucher fees range from $130 to $480. (USD).
We understand how costly certification may be, especially for students. Exam voucher discounts are available to help you save money on CompTIA certifications.
What should I do to prepare for the CompTIA exam?
You may buy study materials to assist you to prepare for your exam. We offer both instructor-led and self-study choices, such as the CompTIA CertMaster products, which are an online IT training package that includes eLearning, labs for hands-on practice, and test prep.
- If you’re just getting started with a topic, CompTIA CertMaster Learn is a terrific place to start. This comprehensive, interactive, and self-paced eLearning environment is jam-packed with activities and features that will help you learn and recall information in a fun way. You can study in the most efficient method for you thanks to the customizable learning plan.
- If you already know anything about a subject, CompTIA Labs is an excellent place to start. It allows you to practice addressing real-world problems in a browser-based data center environment with live servers. We make learning simple yet thorough by providing full side-by-side lab manuals and pre-configured tasks.
- Many CompTIA certifications are offered in packages with Integrated CertMaster Learn + Labs. This allows you to acquire the knowledge on one platform and then practice your hands-on abilities with genuine virtual machines and software. To be safe, all packages contain an exam voucher and a free exam retake.
- If you want to improve your hands-on abilities, CompTIA CertMaster Practice is a wonderful option. It helps you prepare for CompTIA certification tests by reinforcing your knowledge by going swiftly through what you already know and focusing on what you don’t know with individualized feedback.
When does my certification expire?
Some CompTIA credentials are valid for life and do not require re-certification. Most of our certificates, however, are part of the CompTIA Continuing Education program and must be renewed every two years. These certificates are valid for three years from the date of issue and must be renewed before then.
What is the process for renewing my CompTIA certification?
To earn the continuing education units (CEUs) you need to renew your CompTIA certification, you can either complete a single activity or a mix of activities.
I’m considering taking the CompTIA CertMaster, but I’m not ready to commit just yet. What alternatives do I have?
For several of our certifications, we offer free 30-day samples of CertMaster Learn + Labs and CertMaster Practice. CertMaster Study + Labs is an integrated, simplified training solution that allows you to learn through articles, videos, and more, then practice your hands-on abilities on virtual equipment on the same platform. CertMaster Practice allows you to put your skills to the test and see if you’re ready to take your certification exam. To discover if these all-in-one learning experiences are perfect for you, you may try them out for free.
I’m ready to take my CompTIA certification exam now that I’ve done studying. What’s the next step for me?
If you don’t already have one, you’ll need to buy an exam voucher from the CompTIA Store or a testing location. We also advocate arranging your appointment rather than showing up unprepared. Exams are available 24/7 with online testing, so you may schedule them at a time and place that is convenient for you.
What testing choices do I have?
A CompTIA certification exam can be taken either online or at a Person VUE test center.
Online testing allows you to test for your certification at any time and from any peaceful, distraction-free, and secure place.
If you desire, you can opt for online testing:
- A safe and simple option to test from home, a closed-door workplace, or any other location with a secluded space.
- You have the freedom to schedule your exam at any time that is convenient for you.
If something goes wrong during your exam, you’ll have access to technical help.
CompTIA in-person testing allows you to take your exam in one of the hundreds of Pearson VUE test centers worldwide.
If you want to test in person, you should:
- You don’t have access to a quiet, distraction-free environment.
- You don’t have access to the internet regularly.
- Have a weak comprehension of written and spoken English, as well as other impediments to communication.
I passed the CompTIA certification exam and am eager to put what I’ve learned into practice. So, what’s next?
CompTIA has teamed up with ZipRecruiter to make it easier for IT professionals like you to locate vacant employment. You can be matched with the most relevant job opportunities based on your job search criteria and preferences when you sign up for email notifications. Employers seeking your talents and expertise will be able to read your profile and offer you an invitation to apply if you upload your resume to ZipRecruiter.
My CompTIA certification has been finished and passed. Which of the following certifications should I pursue next?
Choose your intended or present employment and learn which certifications you should take next using CompTIA’s IT career path planning tool. You may also look at the CompTIA Career Pathway, which lists CompTIA certifications that are relevant to IT infrastructure and cybersecurity careers.
- The CompTIA IT Infrastructure Career Pathway aligns CompTIA certifications with the skillsets needed to support and manage IT infrastructure. This pathway begins with the core skills certifications (CompTIA ITF+, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ and CompTIA Security+), then continues with three infrastructure-specific certifications (CompTIA Server+, CompTIA Linux+, and CompTIA Cloud+).
- The CompTIA Cybersecurity Career Pathway is for IT professionals that want to achieve cybersecurity mastery, from beginning to end. This pathway also begins with the core skills certifications (CompTIA ITF+, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ and CompTIA Security+), then continues with three cyber security-specific certifications (CompTIA PenTest+, CompTIA CySA+, and CompTIA CASP+).
CompTIA Data+ is now accessible as well! The CompTIA Data+ certification is the first in the CompTIA Data and Analytics Career Pathway and is the only entry-level, vendor-neutral, hands-on data analytics certification available. It’s for people who help an organization’s capacity to make data-driven decisions, as well as those who wish to learn about:
- Data mining and manipulation
- Using fundamental statistical procedures
- Throughout the data lifecycle, analyzing complicated datasets while adhering to governance and quality criteria
CompTIA Data+ is ideal for persons with 18 to 24 months of hands-on experience in business intelligence or data analyst capacity.
What is the best place to get a discounted exam voucher?
The CompTIA Academic Store offers the best deal for students. A third-party organization will verify your student status.
There are a few methods to save if you aren’t a student:
- CompTIA Bundles: Test vouchers and training resources are combined into bundles by CompTIA to help you properly prepare for your certification exam while saving up to 29%* off the retail price.
- CompTIA Store Club: For $49 per year, you may get a 20% discount on any CompTIA Store products, including bundles! (Only legal residents of the United States and Canada, aged 18 and above, are eligible.)
- IT Career News Subscription: IT Career News readers can enjoy 10% off their next purchase in the CompTIA Store if they join up for the newsletter.
- Finance Options: The CompTIA Store provides Affirm financing, which has rates as low as 0% and may be paid over three, six, or twelve months with no hidden costs.